First Mode is a creative engineering company solving the toughest problems on and off the planet, with the goal of having an outsized impact on the world around us. We build the barely possible.
From our state-of-the-art manufacturing and production facilities in Seattle and Perth, we design and deliver resilient, reliable solutions for the most demanding and constrained frontiers in existence. In the last year our engineers built a 2MW hydrogen fuel cell and battery powerplant to retrofit a three-story, 300-metric-ton-capacity diesel haul truck; designed the power source and refueling system for the world’s first endurance race vehicle to be powered by liquid hydrogen; and delivered spaceflight hardware headed 370 million kilometers from Earth to asteroid 16 Psyche.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
The Electrical Designer at First Mode will report to the Director of Electrical Engineering and will have a unique opportunity to serve as a member of the supporting engineering team for the engineering organization. You will design and draft solutions for a wide range of projects across the business.
- Produce detailed design drawings for engineering projects
- Design and deliver electrical systems for Heavy Mobile Equipment (HME) Development projects in a safe, timely, and sustainable manner
- Design review and validation of various engineering designs and associated components
- Translate conceptual designs into detailed engineering drawings; general layouts, process flow diagrams, schematics, terminations, and single line drawings
- Liaise with the senior and lead engineers on key milestones and deliverables
- Ensure designs follow client requirements as well as industry standards
- Ensure designs are implemented safely and risks are managed
- 3+ years of experience in electrical drafting
- Electrical, Mechatronics, Electronics Engineering degree, diploma, or trade
- Experience with Zuken is highly advantageous but not required
- Proactive and self-motivated with a drive for excellence
- Able to support multiple time zones
- Interested in developing solutions from scratch while leveraging previous experience
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.