First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
First Mode is seeking to grow its skillset in liquid hydrogen fuel storage and handling for use with our megawatt-class fuel cell powerplants on mobile applications. As a member of the technical staff with specialized experience in cryogenic systems, you will be an integral member of project teams that are developing, testing, and fielding first-in-kind liquid hydrogen fueled zero-emission technologies for large industrial applications on land, sea, and air.
- Specify and/or design mechanical components to be used in cryogenic service, such as heat exchangers, pumps, and valves. Work closely with vendors on the development of custom components.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary team to conduct design trade studies, work across interfaces to optimize the system
- Advise the company on research and development priorities, assess technology readiness of various technologies
- Develop test plans and procedures, lead R&D, prototyping, and test efforts for component level testing as well as integrated system testing
- Support safety assessments through HAZID/HAZOP, Bow Ties, FMEA, and similar activities
- Travel within the United States and internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Systems, Materials, or related engineering discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of experience with cryogenic systems
- Experience with liquid hydrogen
- Experience with cryogenic applications of composite tanks
- Hands-on experience in a test environment
- Familiarity with dynamic simulation software such as GT Suite
- Ability to write and speak clearly about technical subject matter
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.