First Mode is a creative engineering company solving the toughest problems on and off the planet, with the goal of having an outsized impact on the world around us. We build the barely possible.
From our state-of-the-art manufacturing and production facilities in Seattle and Perth, we design and deliver resilient, reliable solutions for the most demanding and constrained frontiers in existence. In the last year our engineers built a 2MW hydrogen fuel cell and battery powerplant to retrofit a three-story, 300-metric-ton-capacity diesel haul truck; designed the power source and refueling system for the world’s first endurance race vehicle to be powered by liquid hydrogen; and delivered spaceflight hardware headed 370 million kilometers from Earth to asteroid 16 Psyche.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
First Mode is seeking to add members to its mechanical systems team that have expertise developing thermal systems and who have strong capabilities for working these types of problems within a constrained, fast-paced environment. Engineering solutions developed at First Mode are built to withstand extreme environmental conditions where complex thermal solutions are required. Applicants from all industries are welcome, particularly those with a background in thermal system development for complex, multidisciplinary systems.
- You will be responsible for the architecture and design of vehicle and other thermal systems, including cooling and heating methods as well as general thermal system sizing (e.g., pumped fluid loops, convective systems, heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, etc.).
- You will be responsible for selection and specification of thermal system elements (e.g., fluid pumps, radiators, sensors, heat exchangers, resistive heaters, refrigeration cycles, etc.)
- You will be responsible for working with the Vehicle Systems Lead to determine the particular solutions for the thermal subsystem that provide the optimal solutions for the vehicle system-level performance.
- You will be responsible for the interface definition for all components which require thermal maintenance as a part of operational and non-operational constraints.
- You will be responsible for thermal component testing, qualification, model correlation, and system-level thermal requirements verification.
- Represent the thermal systems design during the early definition and scoping phases of a development effort.
- Research and develop thermal system solutions designed to work within larger, multi-disciplinary systems
- Develop thermal systems with associated structures, mechanisms, and instrumentation elements to solve customer challenges, and see these elements through build, test, integration, and operation
- Develop specifications for project partners or vendors, then assist in the management and delivery of these external efforts
- Work effectively in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated experience in life-cycle development of thermal systems hardware within a complex system or product
- Experience designing thermal systems with interactions between mechanical, electrical and systems engineering teams
- Hands-on experience applying a variety of thermal components including heat exchangers, compressors, fans, shielding, insulation, valves and pumps
- Test evaluation experience including test planning, test fixture design/assembly, performing tests and analyzing data
- Experience with CAD and an engineering documentation management software program
- Experience with thermal analysis of steady state and transient environments
- 5+ years of industry experience
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in hands-on hardware design, prototyping, fabrication, and assembly
- Excellent understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics
- Proficiency in any of the following software: SolidWorks CAD tools, FEMAP/NASTRAN Thermal, ANSYS Thermal, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Python, or wiki documentation repositories
- Experience developing systems for active and/or passive thermal systems
- Experience designing components for single and/or two-phase fluid applications
- Experience identifying, selecting, and applying a variety of heat transfer fluids (air, hydrogen, water, refrigerants, etc.)
- Ability to write and speak clearly about technical subject matter
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment
- Travel within the United States and internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.