First Mode is a creative engineering company solving the toughest problems on and off the planet, with the goal of having an outsized impact on the world around us. We build the barely possible.
From our state-of-the-art manufacturing and production facilities in Seattle and Perth, we design and deliver resilient, reliable solutions for the most demanding and constrained frontiers in existence. In the last year our engineers built a 2MW hydrogen fuel cell and battery powerplant to retrofit a three-story, 300-metric-ton-capacity diesel haul truck; designed the power source and refueling system for the world’s first endurance race vehicle to be powered by liquid hydrogen; and delivered spaceflight hardware headed 370 million kilometers from Earth to asteroid 16 Psyche.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
First Mode is developing exciting large-scale hydrogen systems and is seeking to grow its expertise in the design of safe hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, refueling stations, and production plants. As a member of the technical staff with specialist experience in safety engineering for hydrogen systems, the Senior Process Safety Engineer will be a key internal stakeholder and member of project teams that are designing innovative and first-in-kind hydrogen solutions.
- Collaborate on multidisciplinary engineering teams developing mobile hydrogen fuel cell powerplants, liquid and compressed hydrogen storage systems, dispensing systems, and hydrogen production and liquefaction plants as the primary stakeholder responsible for hydrogen systems safety
- Identify and evaluate hazards and risks and recommend hazard controls and protections to design teams
- Review and approve testing designs, processes, and protocols for meeting safety standards
- Develop and administer safety training for on-site and field hydrogen operations
- Manage the company's hydrogen operations across all test, production, and field locations and ensure a culture of safety and compliance
- Develop and use tools for demonstrating safety standard compliance for regulatory or certification entities
- Develop process safety design criteria, guides, best practices, and other documentation along with training and mentoring of engineering staff in the design of safe systems
- Travel within the United States and internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or related engineering discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of experience in a safety engineering role involving hydrogen or other hazardous substances
- Experience leading HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA, PHA, and/or FMECA analyses and reviews
- Willingness to respond to site emergencies
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Experience with hydrogen equipment
- Familiarity with chemical process simulation software (HYSYS, Aspen)
- Experience developing process design bases and control narratives
- Experience with compressors and other rotating equipment
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Ability to write and speak clearly about technical subject matter
- Flexibility and responsiveness in a fast-paced, dynamic, small team environment
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.