First Mode is a creative engineering company solving the toughest problems on and off the planet, with the goal of having an outsized impact on the world around us. We build the barely possible.
From our state-of-the-art manufacturing and production facilities in Seattle and Perth, we design and deliver resilient, reliable solutions for the most demanding and constrained frontiers in existence. In the last year our engineers built a 2MW hydrogen fuel cell and battery powerplant to retrofit a three-story, 300-metric-ton-capacity diesel haul truck; designed the power source and refueling system for the world’s first endurance race vehicle to be powered by liquid hydrogen; and delivered spaceflight hardware headed 370 million kilometers from Earth to asteroid 16 Psyche.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
As the Cyber Security Specialist, you will be responsible for effective application of cyber security practices, leveraging technical expertise to support critical programs of work, ensuring Information Security practices and controls are appropriate to the Business Criticality and Information Sensitivity of associated IT systems.
You will be required to ensure that assigned projects' outcome are aligned to First Mode's security policies, standards, and cloud security best practices, mitigating the company’s security risks and vulnerabilities.
The role works with various stakeholders across the business responsible for ensuring security standards, policies and all current practical security measures are implemented, tested, kept current and fully documented.
You will be an internal cyber safety resource supporting engineering, software development, design engineering, modelling and simulation systems both in cloud environments and on premise along with traditional IT corporate solutions.
- Efficiently managing a broad suite of security tools.
- Network defence tasks including monitoring, discovering and analysing possible threats via network traffic.
- Investigate suspicious activities including analysing and documenting security events, contain, and prevent them from spreading. Identifying root causes, prioritising threats, and implementing and/or recommending corrective actions.
- Supplier assessments (data and technology due diligence)
- “Hands-on” implementation of recommendations across technical, people and process to meet security control intent in support of engineering projects.
- Leading information security operations, incident response and mitigation activities to reduce the impact of breaches and reduce future security breaches. Improve our threat intelligence by performing threat hunting and threat intelligence gathering.
- Managing security projects, assessments, and audits to maintain secure technology operations and service delivery.
- Working on long term key cybersecurity initiatives.
- Maintaining our cyber security strategy, standards, and governance model.
- Represent First Mode with integrity and professionalism
- Demonstrated understanding of Production Operational Technology (OT) and Enterprise Information Technology (IT) security.
- Sound information security knowledge, design, and architecture across some of the following domains is desirable:
- Networks, firewalls, and proxies
- Security administration, monitoring and reporting in Microsoft 365, Microsoft Windows, and LINUX environments either cloud or on-premises
- Privileged Access Management and/or Identity Management systems
- Container security. Client service delivery and practices within an ITIL service delivery framework.
- Applications and databases
- Onboard hardware and software.
- The creation and maintenance of technical documentation.
- Threat risk analysis.
- Accreditation and Certification process.
- Extensive experience in an IT Security role OR Industry qualifications (CISSP, CISA, CISM, CCNP or Azure/AWS) OR Tertiary information security, cyber safety or a related qualification
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) ITAR and EAR regulations advantageous.
- Sound experience in security projects, assessments, and risk audit.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and the ability to clearly articulate complex security concepts to a broad and diverse audience.
- Professional working experience in Enterprise information Technology security
- Well-developed influence skills, including the ability to engage people and generate support towards effective IT security principals.
- Travel within the United States and internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners (COVID-19 permitting)
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave and winter shutdown
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.