First Mode is a creative engineering company solving the toughest problems on and off the planet, with the goal of having an outsized impact on the world around us. We build the barely possible.
From our state-of-the-art manufacturing and production facilities in Seattle and Perth, we design and deliver resilient, reliable solutions for the most demanding and constrained frontiers in existence. In the last year our engineers built a 2MW hydrogen fuel cell and battery powerplant to retrofit a three-story, 300-metric-ton-capacity diesel haul truck; designed the power source and refueling system for the world’s first endurance race vehicle to be powered by liquid hydrogen; and delivered spaceflight hardware headed 370 million kilometers from Earth to asteroid 16 Psyche.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
The Runner is responsible for ensuring smooth day-to-day operations at our SoDo I&T Facility, supporting our team. This position will work closely with the Operations, Facilities, and Health & Safety, and Marketing to lay the operational foundation at our facility and provide additional support where needed.
- Greet clients, visitors, vendors, and guests; determine the purpose of each visit, and direct or escort them to the main point of contact
- Manage visitor requests and distribute NDA’s and other visitor documents as required
- Assist with SoDo site access and security policies for staff and visitors who have the authorization to be at the Sodo I&T Facility
- Assist with providing supervised access to vendors, contractors, and guests to ensure safe operations at the SoDo I&T Facility
- Operate First Mode vehicles to shuttle employees from various First Mode locations
- Operate First Mode vehicles to deliver goods and materials as needed
- Receive mail, documents, packages, and courier deliveries and deliver or distribute items
Packing/shipping packages as needed
- Place orders including general office supplies, janitorial supplies, snacks & beverages, and company meals
- Stock kitchen and sanitation stations and monitor for supply levels
- Sanitize common area surfaces
- Assist with maintaining the office space and warehouse within the Sodo I&T Facility
- Assist with the space expansion and utilization for Sodo facility expansion
- Assist project teams with ad hoc tasks related to facility configuration, logistics, and internal-external coordination efforts
- Assist with the receiving process for the organization and its project teams
- Assist with Shipping & Receiving Procedures, Inventory Management, Space Allocation & Reallocation for Project Entry and Exit, etc.
- Assist with implementation of changes mandated by the Safety Committee on a timely basis
- Manage procurement requests from technical staff
- Assist with receipt of shipments and coordinating outbound packages ranging from domestic mail to international container shipping
- Stocking and maintaining conferencing rooms and shared space at warehouse and office
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- 2+ years of experience in facilities support role
- Valid WA State Driver’s License required
- Experience with inventory tracking
- Must have an acceptable driving record per First Mode's driving policy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Jira, and other related software
- Class c drivers license
- Proficiency in JIRA and confluence (Atlassian platforms)
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, ability to communicate verbally, and in writing, and ability to handle long periods of screen time
- Requires daily walking of the SoDo facility, as well as occasional driving between the Seattle HQ and SoDo facility
- Ability to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally operate heavy machinery
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Duties are performed both in the office and outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.