First Mode is a creative engineering company solving the toughest problems on and off the planet, with the goal of having an outsized impact on the world around us. We build the barely possible.
From our state-of-the-art manufacturing and production facilities in Seattle and Perth, we design and deliver resilient, reliable solutions for the most demanding and constrained frontiers in existence. In the last year our engineers built a 2MW hydrogen fuel cell and battery powerplant to retrofit a three-story, 300-metric-ton-capacity diesel haul truck; designed the power source and refueling system for the world’s first endurance race vehicle to be powered by liquid hydrogen; and delivered spaceflight hardware headed 370 million kilometers from Earth to asteroid 16 Psyche.
While each project is unique, we typically meld together robotics, automation, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, and advanced fabrication to create a new future across many industries. If you have exceptional talent and a vision for the future, we want to talk.
First Mode is seeking to add new members to our engineering team focused on modeling and simulation. We’re looking for individuals who have passion, experience, and hard-won lessons in the art of model development. You enjoy diving into new platforms and technologies to figure out how they work and appreciate the thrill of seeing your work bring a physical system to life. This role is open to engineers from Engineer level through to Senior Engineer.
Working with small interdisciplinary teams, you will analyze the data and build the models that form the basis for solutions to complex problems. You will work on models that are used to solve the challenges around decarbonizing heavy industry.
- Design and maintain complex integrated models for simulation
- Work with cross-disciplinary teams to scope and define new model
- Create ways of using simulations that trade breadth with performance
- Develop low-level algorithms for subsystem simulations based on first principles
- Define and run trade studies in order to help engineers make decisions
- Summarize and communicate results to multidisciplinary team members and customers
- Validate and test simulation results
- Verify system-level requirements
- 2+ years of experience in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Analytics, or Data Science
- Strong python skills
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently as well as in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to work in undefined and quickly evolving problem spaces
- Experience in systems analysis
- Familiarity with architecting simulations
- Ability and desire to learn new complex engineering concepts
- This position will be located at First Mode’s office in Perth, WA
- Applicants must be eligible for employment within Australia
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- Paid-for private health insurance (hospital & benefits)
- 12 week paid parental leave for all parents both secondary and primary carers
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.