First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
This Hydrogen Systems Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the development of our onboard vehicle liquid hydrogen system mechanisms and components to enable fueling and operations of our hydrogen-powered mining haul truck. This person will lead a team designing the vehicle’s hydrogen system mechanism and fueling hardware including design, analysis, assembly, integration, development testing, subsystem testing, and system-level integration and test efforts.
- Responsible for the onboard vehicle liquid hydrogen pump, refueling pump, and the various valves, regulators, heat exchangers, and system components
- Responsible for the design/spec, procurement, integration, testing, and deployment of those components
- Lead a team designing the vehicle's hydrogen system mechanisms and fueling hardware
- Lead a subsystem and system trades to enable hardware development
- Lead make/buy decisions on components as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Thermal, Aerospace, Propulsion, or Systems Engineering
- 10+ years' experience in applications of mechanical and/or cryogenic systems engineering disciplines
- Must have experience in cryogenic systems hardware development and operations
- Must have experience in mechanical hardware design, analysis, and testing
- Experience in design, servicing, and deployment of cryogenic liquid transfer hardware and process
- Experience in the design, analysis or testing of mechanism elements
- Experience in cryogenic systems is a strong plus
- Experience with liquid hydrogen systems is a strong plus
- Experience delivering a hardware and/or system design through its full life cycle – from concept through development and deployment – is a strong plus
- Some travel may be required to support interface development, vendor interactions, and systems deployed in the field
- Training and certification in hydrogen systems safety will be required
- May be required to climb ladders and stairs on the systems equipment during assembly and once deployed in the field
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.