First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
As the Senior EHS Specialist, you will work with multiple disciplines and collaborate across the organization to integrate EHS programs at our facility in Centralia, WA. As we develop new products you will lead job hazard analysis to reduce operational risks, develop and integrate EHS trainings for operations, and be the site point of contact to engage state/government regulators. The successful candidate will have a self-starting attitude and desire to learn everything about the systems under development.
- Coordinate the implementation of First Mode EHS programs to ensure compliance with relevant Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations.
- Develop relationships with internal teams (e.g., engineering, operations) and contractors to ensure all safety policies and procedures are followed.
- Perform job hazard analysis and work with internal teams to reduce risks to operations.
- Develop, administer, and track the completion of site safety training for internal teams and contractors.
- Manage construction safety operations during site development.
- Define safety requirements for vehicle operation across various onsite testing locations.
- Develop EHS programs and policies for the Centralia operations.
- Create site emergency response procedures to respond to hydrogen, battery, or truck events.
- Serves as incident commander during an evacuation when necessary.
- Assist with investigations of occupational incidents and injuries
- Ensure company safety records/MSDS/documentation are correct and up to date.
- Manage the PPE inventory and assist in custom PPE purchasing.
- Ensure the hazardous waste collection, storage, and disposal is performed in compliance with EPA, DOT, and OSHA regulation.
- Coordinate industrial hygiene studies and implement measures to prevent or reduce occupational exposures to permissible levels.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts to a broad and diverse audience.
- Well-developed influence skills, including the ability to engage people and generate support for EHS programs.
- Proficient in MS Office, Teams, Confluence, JIRA
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Environmental, Health, and Safety or related field working with chemical processing, stationary storage battery systems, mining or other high-hazard environments.
- Experience performing job hazard analysis and implementing risk reduction measures.
- Strong working knowledge of MSHA, OSHA, EPA, and state and local regulatory requirements, as they pertain to mining operations.
- Experience developing and implementing EHS programs
- Experience developing and administering training
- Experience operating at active mine sites.
- Ability to operate safely in a field environment; this may include, but is not limited to potentially lifting up to 50 lbs., standing for extended periods of time bending, crouching, stooping, rotating, climbing stairs, or any combination of the aforementioned, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This position will be located at First Mode’s proving grounds in Centralia, WA and will be required to work on-site full time.
Base Salary Range: $87,000 - $110,000
Benefits & Perks
- Annual bonus incentive
- Equity-based awards
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution from the start of employment
- Flexible PTO with 12 weeks of supplementary paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits (parking & public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspace with free office snacks and lunches
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.