First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
This Mechanical-Thermal Systems Engineer will create and develop thermal control systems for our custom hydrogen fuel cell systems aboard various vehicle system platforms. They will be the engineer responsible for the design, analysis, and implementation of these systems and for integrating with the power and systems engineering teams in full-vehicle deployments.
- Model, Develop, and Integrate and Test Thermal Control Systems for Fuel Cell Balance of Plant power systems
- Design and route fluid subsystems (Coolant, Pneumatic, Thermal management, etc.)
- Work with fluid components (i.e., solenoid valves, Control Valves, Pumps, Heat Exchangers, etc.) as a part of hardware system design work
- Work with Vendors to execute on new products
- Perform Basic Fluid System analysis and support wider system modeling
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Thermal, Aerospace, or Systems Engineering
- Must have minimum of 4 years’ experience in applications of technical engineering discipline
- Must have experience in mechanical hardware design and analysis
- Model, Develop, and Integrate Thermal Control Systems / Process Air systems for Fuel Cell Balance of Plant power systems
- Experience delivering a hardware and/or system design through its full life cycle – from concept through development and deployment – is a strong plus
- Experience deriving component requirements and system modeling is a plus
- Experience in planning and executing hardware testing
- Work with 3D CAD programs (NX preferred) in design and connection routing of system hardware
- Advanced fluid system analysis – airflow design and optimization, thermal transient, heat exchanger design
- Some travel may be required to support systems deployed in the field as well as to support vendor interfaces.
- As a support engineer, may be required to climb ladders and stairs on the systems equipment during assembly and once deployed in the field
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Base Salary Range: $120,000 - $211,500
Mechanical Engineer II: $120,000 - $162,000
Senior Engineer I: $141,000 - $191,000
Senior Engineer II: $156,500 - 211,500
Benefits & Perks
- Annual bonus incentive
- Equity-based awards
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution from the start of employment
- Flexible PTO with 12 weeks of supplementary paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits (parking & public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspace with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.