First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
As the Principal Functional Safety Engineer, you will work with multiple disciplines and collaborate across the organization to develop and integrate the safety management plan at our facility in Seattle, WA. This position is responsible for driving HAZID, HAZOP, FMEA, and LOPA/Functional Safety assessments across multiple hardware systems in development. The candidate will have a strong understanding of the regulatory compliance standards (IEC 61508, IEC 61511, ISO 13849, ISO 19014, ISO 12100, IEC 62061) and the process required to specify, test, qualify, document and maintain certifications related to Product Safety, Machine Safety, and Functional Safety compliance for domestic and international markets. The successful candidate will have a self-starting attitude and desire to learn everything about the systems under development.
- Define the safety management strategy to drive HAZID, HAZOP, FMEA, and LOPA/Functional Safety assessments across all products
- Define safety and certification requirements, guide the program to meet those requirements, report status to leadership, identify and implement process improvements
- Drive a standardized and harmonized approach to safety compliance across First Modes products.
- Communicate technical safety and compliance requirements to design teams, product managers, and operations
- Participate in electrical and mechanical system design reviews to ensure that safety mitigations are properly implemented
- Evaluate systems against functional safety requirements (e.g., SIL, PD, DC, MTTF, etc.)
- Define functional safety test/ validation plans and direct their execution
- You will establish yourself as a leader and help to solve ambiguous and complex safety problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts to a broad and diverse audience.
- Well-developed influence skills, including the ability to engage people and generate support for EHS programs.
- Proficient in MS Office, Teams, Confluence, JIRA
- BS / MS Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Safety Engineering, or similar field.
- 10+ years of experience with complex electromechanical systems.
- Certified Functional Safety Expert
- Experience evaluating hydrogen, battery, and heavy equipment systems used in industrial operations.
- Experience leading safety programs for systems from concept through certification.
- Experience with the functional safety requirements and certification of multiple devices (e.g., ISO 13849, ISO 61508, IEC 62061, or equivalent).
- Experience obtaining functional safety certification for custom hardware and full-variability software.
- Experience leading HAZID, HAZOP, FMEA, and functional safety assessments
- Experience with systems analysis for safety or non-safety systems.
- Ability to operate safely in a field environment; this may include, but is not limited to potentially lifting up to 50 lbs., standing for extended periods of time bending, crouching, stooping, rotating, climbing stairs, or any combination of the aforementioned, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible PTO with 12 week supplementary paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement account with a discretionary employer match
- Commuter benefits (parking and public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspaces with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.