First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
You will help build the software that powers our clean energy product line, leveraging modern tools, techniques, and best practices to craft solutions to real-world problems. Our software projects span a wide range from embedded systems to distributed computing, but usually involve interaction with a physical system. You will work alongside -- and learn from! -- engineers of mixed disciplines as you think outside the boundaries of your own code to make a major impact on the systems we design and implement.
A successful engineer in this role will thrive in an inventive environment and be excited by researching and teaching themselves new technologies and skills. You will be hands-on with hardware and learn about the clean energy space in the lab, in the field, and in building the software to operate our vehicle fleets.
- Serve as a technical lead for our software team, owning software delivery end-to-end throughout the product life cycle, collaborating with other software engineers towards team objectives.
- Design and build software solutions that target high-reliability robotic systems driven by our clean energy power products
- Drive technical product development for our fleet operations software products, include telematics/remote diagnostics, over-the-air-update
- Drive technical product development for our automated verification/validation systems, and including vehicle simulation and hardware-in-the-loop test automation
- Mentor team members in engineering best practices via coaching and design/code review
- Drive operational excellence by delivering high quality software products via automated testing and tooling
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- Collaborate with hardware, controls, and systems engineers in development, integration, and debugging
- Represent software as a stakeholder within a multi-disciplinary team, from system formulation through design, build and test
- Travel internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners
- 7-10 years of Product development for cloud-deployed software applications on platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- 7-10 years experience (Expert-level competency) in one or more of these languages: Java, Python, C++, Go, Rust
- Practical understanding of core data structures and algorithms and their applications
- Experience completing one or more complete product life cycles
- Experience with operations and continuous integration best practices
- Experience interfacing between cloud software and fleets of edge-deployed software systems, such as IoT, embedded, or vehicle systems
- Experience with designing B2B software applications and APIs
- Experience with managing secure communications and credentials for cloud and edge-deployed computer systems
- Experience with automated test infrastructure and hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Experience building simulations for automated testing
- Experience in a relevant domain, such as robotics, automotive, aerospace, video games, networking, medical, or other embedded systems
- Possess a diverse experience base, with comprehension of low and high-level software
- A knack for thinking about how the parts of a system work together
- Have gleaned insights from interesting projects (school, personal, or professional) and can tell a great story about the lessons they learned
- Experience with the development and execution of agile software and test plans
- Experience with software quality metrics (path coverage, static analysis, etc.)
- Experience with leading a team of embedded software engineers to deliver to higher-level goals
- Ability to write and speak clearly about technical subject matter
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >60% of working hours
Base Salary Range: $172,500 - $233,450
Benefits & Perks
- Annual bonus incentive
- Equity-based awards
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution from the start of employment
- Flexible PTO with 12 weeks of supplementary paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits (parking & public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspace with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.