First Mode is a carbon reduction company developing creative, clean energy solutions for heavy industry’s toughest problems.
We hope you’ll join us in building a brighter future for people and planet.
As part of the Electrical Engineering and Embedded Systems team at First Mode, you will support the development of the high power electrical systems used in First Mode’s electric vehicles and other applications. You will architect and support low (12.. 48 VDC) and/or high (400.. 800 VDC)-voltage electrical systems found on First Mode’s electric vehicle platforms. You will visit vendors and key suppliers and help us further relationships and influence product roadmaps.
This is not solely a requirements management / paper-pushing job; you will perform detailed design of a vehicle-wide system and then work with subsystem engineers to ensure their designs comply with your architecture and requirements. You will follow the design from initial ideation, through build, and ending with verification in deployed vehicles. A self-starting attitude and desire to learn everything about the system under design from all disciplines and team members is required.
- Own the electrical architecture(s) of First Mode electric vehicle platforms
- Perform technical management (e.g. requirements development) of internal subsystem development and supplier efforts to realize the implementation of a given architecture
- Interface with software, mechanical, thermal, and manufacturing teams to ensure your designs are implemented properly
- 2+ years of experience as a technical leader / E/E systems architect or similar role
- 2+ years of experience with high-voltage, high-power electrical systems and components (e.g., DC/DC converters, VFDs, batteries, insulation monitoring devices)
- Proficiency in common electrical engineering design tools (e.g., SPICE, Altium Designer, MATLAB)
- 5+ years of experience in development of vehicle electrical / electronic (E/E) systems and architectures
- Strong understanding of power systems architectures / experience in ‘clean-sheet’ design
- Experience in requirements management and other complex technical project management tools (e.g., JAMA, JIRA, DOORS)
- Hands-on experience in the design, development, and test of electric vehicle drivetrain components such as AC/DC, DC/DC converters, and inverters
- Programming experience in at least one scripting language (e.g., Python)
- Experience through a complete product lifecycle (requirements, design, build, test, manufacturing)
- Ability to write and speak clearly about technical subject matter (e.g., technical specification development, wiki documentation)
- Occasional travel within the United States and internationally to represent First Mode to its customers, vendors, and partners and to coordinate with the global First Mode Team
- This position will be located at First Mode’s headquarters in Seattle, WA and will be required to work in office >80% of working hours
Base Salary Range: $120,000 - $151,500
Benefits & Perks
- Annual bonus incentive
- Equity-based awards
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) retirement account with a 3% employer contribution from the start of employment
- Flexible PTO with 12 weeks of supplementary paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits (parking & public transportation)
- A culture that encourages professional growth with learning and development reimbursements
- Open and collaborative workspace with free office snacks and lunches
- Hybrid work model
First Mode is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with First Mode is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.